This is the third of a three part series where we are helping you declutter your house, save money, and make money. Three of the best ways to sell junk things are (1) Ebay – www.ebay.com (2) Garage Sale (3) Craigslist – www.craigslist.org.
If you missed either of the first two articles you can view them below:
How does Craigslits work:
Much like Ebay, Craigslist is a way to sell anything. The key difference is that your selling area is limited by a smaller geographic area. Typically with Craigslist people who buy from you will pick up the item, but you can make whatever arrangement you wish.
What are the advantages of selling something on Craigslist (especially compared to a garage sale and Ebay):
- You can list your Craigslist items for free.
- Don’t have to mess with packaging and shipping. This is one of my personal dislikes about Ebay.
- You can sell BIG items – boat, vehicle, stroller. Such items are not very feasible through Ebay (but people still sell them), but they are not items you want to sell at garage sale prices.
- You don’t have to create an account, you just need an email address.
What should you sell on Craigslist:
Anything. As a guide I would search on Craigslist for the exact items you might want to sell. Notice how many people have bid for it and how much the item is selling for. This tells you (1) how much you could likely get for you item (2) if it will sell.
Tips and things to know:
- Accept only cash as payment. There have been reports of people using fraudulent money orders and such.
- You need to be located close to a major city. Sorry to our friends in Dellview, North Carolina (population 10).
- Choose a public meeting area if you are concerned about individuals knowing where you live.
- If you are willing, offer a fee to deliver. Take a friend with you for the company and safety.
- Here is a helpful link on how to sell with Craigslist.
Well, there you have it. Get rid of some of that junk around your house and increase the size of your bank account at the same time.
What are you going to do? Ebay, garage sale, or Craigslist?