This is my insurance renewal time of year. Within a few months my health, life, auto, house, and short term disability insurance comes due. For that reason I thought I should search the scriptures to see if there is any biblical reason not to get insurance. (By the way, any good Bible scholar will tell you you should never go to the Bible with an agenda, but with an open mind). Photo by bettyx1138
The common argument is that if we trust God we will not need insurance. I think this assumption is flawed because:
- Our trusting in God does not exempt us from hardship, struggle, and sickness. In fact, we should not be surprised by hardship ( Peter 4:12). If we are to anticipate it, surely we are to prepare for hardship. Faith is not the ability to control the outcome of our lives, but rather the attitude to submit to whatever God brings our way.
- Our trusting in God does not excuse us from living lives of wisdom. Proverbs teaches that in times of surplus we should prepare for an unknown future. (Proverbs 6:6-8)
- Our trusting in God does not encourage us to embrace foolish decisions. There is no Bible verse that specifically addresses insurance, but I believe after reading through Proverbs, not getting insurance would not be described as a virtuous one.
How does insurance honor God?
- Insurance allows us to protect our family and the church. If we have a financial need, surely that burden would be placed on the church ( Timothy 5:8). If I am financially able to prepare for an unplanned future I should save the burden from my family and church by purchasing insurance.
- Insurance honors the biblical principle of reimbursing with compensation those who have been wronged. The biblical principle throughout Exodus 21:12-36 shows that people who are harmed should be compensated. Auto insurance provides us a way to care for our neighbor in case we are at fault in an auto accident. We might not be able to personally handle the financial obligation, but insurance will provide the needed resources.
- In many instances insurance is required as a part of government submission (Romans 13:1).
- Insurance can be a loving action towards a spouse or family. Life insurance, for example, is a way for a husband to love his wife (Ephesians 5:25).
- Insurance helps to ensure you will have something to leave to your children (Proverbs 13:22).
- Insurance provides us with a way to ensure our debts are paid. Major illnesses are the number one cause of bankruptcy. Insurance not only protects us, but also those who choose to serve us in our times of great need (Romans 4:4).
I guess I had better call around and make sure I still have the best rates possible for my various forms of insurance.