How to Save Money on Holiday Travel
- Take advantage of the free travel booking service at Help Me Travel Cheap.
- Book early.
- Check out Southwest Airlines – when you factor in baggage cost, it is hard to find a better price than Southwest. However, you need to know they have an open seating policy that some people find annoying. Learn more about Southwest family boarding policy.
- Set your travel plans around prices, not vice versa. In other words, don’t say I’m leaving on the 24th, but look and see what days are the cheapest to fly and then decide what day you should leave.
- Consider booking on airlines that allow you to refund airline tickets if the price drops.
- Consider the value of driving versus flying as well as the value of using your own car or renting.
- Use these 10 tips for saving money on a road trip.
- Pack a meal for the plane.
- Minimize the amount of baggage you take. I’ve even suggested that people buy clothes as second hand stores when they arrive instead of taking an extra bag.
- Visit Help Me Travel Cheap for some cool frugal family travel tips.
Here’s a bonus tip, use Costco for travel rentals.
What are your tips for saving money on holiday travel?