It’s been a long time since I’ve written a post here at Money Help for Christians. I almost feel like I should introduce myself.
My name is Craig Ford and I’m guy behind the blog MH4C.
So, what have I done in the last five weeks?
- I went through the stress of selling a house in PNG. The sale of our house didn’t finish before we left the country. We had several tense days as we tried to manage everything from Malaysia. Fortunately, God was faithful and the sale of the house was completed! Thus, we are now officially nomads. My two-year-old daughter has been calling our hotels ‘hometells’.
- In addition to selling the house, we also paid off our mortgage. I’ve hinted at the fact that we didn’t owe much on the house, but for several reasons, I’ve never publicly disclosed much about it. Anyway, last week I wrote a check and paid off our house. That means we’re in a position to buy our next home with cash. That will be fun, and I’ll be sure to tell you about it.
- I’m no longer a full time missionary. I’m now a missional entrepreneur. What that means is that I’m using the income I’m earning online to follow God’s call and direction for our family. We’re not sure where this journey will lead us, but we’re excited to see what God has in store for us.
- We’ve purchased a car (cash, of course). My in-laws had a hail damaged PT Cruiser that was the right price. I think the car highlights our philosophy about frugality and simplicity.
- Shopping at second hand stores. I love ‘em. We sold most everything we owned when we left PNG, so we’ll be buying all ‘new’ clothes and household goods. Lord willing, most of those things will be purchased second hand.
- We’ve travelled from PNG to Australia, Malaysia, Thailand, USA, Canada, and Hungary. It seems almost surreal that as long as I have my computer with me I can do all my work. What a blessing! Since we don’t own a home and I collect frequent flyer miles for free flights and hotels, the cost of travel actually isn’t much more that it cost to maintain a home.
I guess you could say a lot has happened in the last five weeks!